Thursday 17 April 2014

United Kingdom, UK, Great Britain... Just rambling

To me UK is pretty safe and civilized. I can walk around on my own without fear or anyone bothering me at all. Some staring at times probably due to something awkward I do or my skin colour or my hijab but nothing malicious so far. Common sense prevails, of course, by keeping all my cash and documents in safe places and not straying into dodgy area or wherever my gut told me not to. Gut feelings sometime save lives, if you feel uncomfortable or unsafe, get the hell out fast. Still, I feel less wary and afraid than in my own country where anytime I can get mugged (happened in a cafe to me) or potentially raped / killed.


Their cleanliness and politeness that can put us all in shame. I'm not saying this to degrade my country but as a reflection that we need to learn to do this. Rarely you see people litter, they throw rubbish in accordance to recycle and non - recycle materials, parks and public places are immaculate. People say please and thank you, smile, hold the door for others, offer seats to elderly, offer to help carry a stroller with a baby inside up the staircase... They do it as part of life and norm, not service.

Preservation of artifacts and old buildings... Amazing work on maintaining the buildings in old city e.g. Edinburgh. And it's really worth the money paid for entrance to historical sites and galleries. They always go to the extent to make everything as interesting and well - preserved as possible. Efficiency and service are excellent, once at Palace of Holyrood I had approached one of the staff because my audio guide had stopped working. It was promptly replaced with much apology from the staff.

Shopping wise, if the product has a defect, you will get 10% off the original price. How incredible is that? Return policy is simple, customer's satisfaction is priority.

Food is no issue, there are so many halal places and Islamic centers nowadays, worse come to worse just mention that u can't take meat and alcohol and they will accommodate. Another tip is to look for colleges and universities as students tend to set up a community and halal business will boom in that area.

No comments:

Post a Comment