Saturday 19 April 2014

Takuhaibin delivery service... one of the awesome things in Japan


Takuhaibin is a delivery service in Japan that can be utilized to transfer your luggage from one place to another as long as you have the address of that place and the cash for it. This, if anything, is one of the most convenient thing ever during my stay in Japan. But it requires some planning on your side.Use this service if you have the extra cash and don't want the hassle of dragging huge luggage around.
You can also specify the date you want to recieve the delivery. What I did was, I arrived in Tokyo on Day 1 at Narita airport and arranged for delivery to Kyoto, which I went on my Day 4 traveling. The attendant at the counter didn't speak or read any English, so I showed him my hotel booking print - out (booking.com enables printing out in both English and the local language so in my case I showed him the Japanese print-out) which stated the hotel address and the check - in date. Just point, say "check - in" (or chekku - in :) ) and the guy will help you to fill up the form, leaving the space for your name and contact number for you to fill in.

The charge is based on the size of your luggage and area of delivery. You can read more about takuhaibin here.As for Narita airport, there are many delivery companies that you can choose from and they are listed here.

Also, this service can be arranged by the hotel you stay at. All the time in Japan, aside from the one time in Narita airport, my hotels pretty much arranged my takuhaibin. They have the forms at the counters and can arrange for the pick - up of your luggage to be delivered to your next destination. All you have to do is give them the address, fill up your name and contact number on the form (they'll write the rest for you, unless of course, you can write in Japanese) and pay. Roughly the charge starts at 1200 yen.

And it's very reliable. I used it twice during my travel: Tokyo - Kyoto and Kyoto - Hiroshima and my bags arrived on time and intact. So I'd say that it's really worth it to use takuhaibin.

No comments:

Post a Comment