Saturday 19 April 2014

Japan itenerary planning - my references


Planning is the most essential thing for hassle - free traveling. Meaning, I did plan my itinerary to the minute details, including where I’m gonna stay, how I’m gonna get from place to place, where I’m gonna go, where to eat, my daily spending etc and it helped a lot the whole time I was there. Boy I tell you, just one place was enough to drive me nuts with reading and research. I carried the printed itinerary and kept a softcopy too. But with Japan, whatever listed in the reference - I discovered later - is precisely as what that is gonna be over there, down to the detail of transport mode and ticket prices.

Japan has also been selected to host the 2020 Olympics so I expect that travel in Japan will be much easier than before, though I can't imagine Japan being anymore convenient than it is now.

These are the address for Japan – Malaysia embassies:

Embassy of Malaysia, Tokyo, Japan:
20-16 Nanpeidai-Cho, Shibuya-Ku, Tokyo 150-0036.
Telephone +(81-3) 3476 3840
Fax +(81-3) 3476 4971
Email: maltokyo@kin.gov.my
Work day: Monday to Friday
9am to 1230pm & 130pm to 5pm
Holiday: Weekend & PH.

The Japanese Embassy (Malaysia)
Persiaran Stonor
Off Jalan Tun Razak
50450 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 603-2177 2600


Websites that I frequent for details:

1. Japan National Tourism Organization @ JNTO
 - they have downloadable maps and information on pretty much everything you need to know about your area of interest
- they provide links to the various websites related to your area of interest. Most of the websites are in English

2. japan-guide.com
- another excellent website that provides minute detail down to what train and bus to take.
- VERY reliable.
- user friendly
- everything you need to know about Japan is here, even on basic things like getting a train, culture, food etc
- provide links and ads for hotels and travel tours

3. Hyperpedia
- minute detail on trains, if it's listed, then it exists, enough said
- list down train schedule for many months ahead, in my experience is up to 4 months

4. Narita International Airport Official Website
- there is downloadable PDF guide on airport detail, arrival and departure procedure, floor guide, airpost services etc. Very helpful, if you ask me

5. JOURNEYWOMAN
- How to survive in Japan

6. List of Kyoto useful links:
- Kyoto Travel Guide
- Walk In Kyoto, Talk In English : a site on Johnnie Hillwalker's walking tour in Kyoto. Gives you a basic look in the back lanes of Kyoto
- Welcome to Kyoto
- The Kyoto Regular Tour Bus : provided by the Keihan Bus co. for easy sightseeing. Guide in Japanese, brings you to popular tourist spots. I didn't personally try it since I walked all over the place myself and pretty much found the spots easily.
- Inside Kyoto : the online guide by Chris Rowthorn, the author of Lonely Planet's Kyoto guidebook

7. Regional websites:
- Matsumoto Welcomes You!
- Naramachi Walker : walking guide site, a very good walking tour to see the old town. I personally like this tour more than the Kyoto walk.
- Kinosaki Onsen Hotspring Town
- Visit Hiroshima
- Miyazu Amanohashidate tourist guide
- Odakyu Electric Railway : get your info on Hakone here, as well as buying the Romancecar ticket online (in Japanese, but easily figured out on my own)

8. Wikitravel
- list down to do list and bla3

9. TripAdvisor
- reviews on hotels, places, activities

10. Booking.com
- pretty much booked my hotels here

Happy planning and safe travel! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment