Thursday 17 April 2014

Planning the trip...

Let me start with basic stuffs before I go rambling about places I've visited and things I've eaten. Planning, the most essential thing for everything. Planning a trip makes life easier when you reach your place. Don't be lazy, do some homework, unless you wanna do blind and mindless sightseeing, which I think is a waste of your money and time. Unless of course, that is what you wanna do, or have someone do it for you.

Maybe it's just me but I like planning my trip instead of going on a tour. I like to poke around nooks and corners, go off the grid, get lost (without actually being lost, mind you) along the trail, have some freedom, enjoy and appreciate things in my own angles. Best of all, I know what I'm doing. And it gives a sense of accomplishment and independence and a confidence level booster. Try it, and you'll know what I'm talking about.



But hey, I wont say things will always go pretty. If you hate reading, it may not help since planning a trip involves a lot of reading up. And then after all those extensive planning, the weather can go wrong, information may be outdated, trains may be delayed bla bla bla... Life is never fair. But that's part of living.

So anyway, planning. Some points to be taken into consideration:
1. Where are you going?

2. Where can you get information? Books, websites of the area of interest, blogs even. For example, for my UK trip this time, I used the following books. I'm a huge fan of Lonely Planet, but don't let that influence you. And no last minute planning.


3. What is the weather like? Because this is going to influence what you are gonna do and wear there. Just Google "weather" "month" "place" and pretty much you'll get a rough estimate of the weather condition. Mind you to check around a week prior your actual trip since sometimes the weather can be unpredictable. For instance, Dublin as my example, I checked within 2 months, 1 month and 1 week prior arriving there and it was never the same.

4. What to wear for the season? Lots of websites offer advice on this. Make sure you dress right or you'll have to do extra shopping over there.

5. Where do you want to stay? Depends on budget and activities. There are many kinds of accommodation out there, be sure to book early especially during peak travel season in the area as price will be raised and rooms can be difficult to get. I suggest about 4 months in advance. You may want to consider looking for a place with coin or self - service laundry, or a nearby laundromat if you are going to do some extensive long - period or family traveling.

6. How do you want to move around? Train? On foot? Ferry? Plane? Train tickets can be booked in advance online within 2 months period, and the websites usually offer better prices with seat reservation. At times you may even get cheap first class tickets.

7. What is your budget?

8.  What is the crime rate like there? What precaution should you take? Common sense, of course, must always prevail.

9. What is the culture or custom like over there? Save yourself from getting into awkward situations.

10. Language? How do you ask if they can speak English? In some places it's considered rude to assume that everyone speaks English.

11. Emergency numbers.

12. How to stay in contact while on the road. Local sim cards, roaming etc. just check which option is cheaper and convenient for you.



These are just basics. Do your homework, that is most important. Have a good trip! :D







No comments:

Post a Comment