Saturday 19 April 2014

Internet connection in Japan ~ eConnect


This is how I stay connected to the world while in Japan :) Surprisingly enough, Japan does not have many free Wifi spots. New hotels have it, Starbucks, the airport, train stations, but not many. Most involve registering, which is not something I particularly enjoy doing.

My concern is about quick information access, especially if it happens that I’d need Google Map whenever I’m at lost. After looking around, I found eConnect, a 30 days non – contract micro SIM Internet data of 1G. Speed for Downlink: 7.2 Mbps / Uplink: 5.7 Mbps (best effort). Available in SIM and micro SIM. Good enough, cost 4890 Y including delivery. Payment by credit card.

A nice touch is that they can deliver right to your hotel or to your house address, take your pick. And it will activate on its own when you start using it, no hassle. No phone call, but you can Skype.

I still have 200+ Mb data left after 3 weeks. Mostly I was using it for Google map, Hyperpedia, e - mail. But I still utilize the hotel's free Wifi.

Here is another option but limited to 14 days with limited coverage area (mostly in Tokyo): NTT Free Wifi Japan. I was considering it but feels that it's too much hassle and limited.

No comments:

Post a Comment